Quick Search:
      Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A building move is moving an existing structure from one location to another. A building is a structure that has a roof and four walls and includes a house, garage, church, but does not include grain bins and tanks.

How much notice do I have to give for a permit application?

  • If moving a building wider than 7.32 m (24 ft), a minimum notice is required.
    • If the building is being moved only on provincial highways, 24 hours is required
    • If the move is on municipal and provincial roads, 48 hours is required
    • If the route or building dimensions change, the notice period resets

Do I have to check my route before moving?

  • Yes. You must drive the route to check for any obstructions
  • If the building is over 5.18 m high, an approval number from Saskpower is also required
  • Other approvals may be required depending on type of obstruction (SaskTel, CN, CP, etc.)

Do I have to provide the weight of the building?

  • Yes. An accurate weight estimate of the building is required when applying for a permit

How can I measure the weight of the building?

  • A weight estimation can be determined from the crib jack gauges by utilizing the following formula:
    • Individual crib jack load weight = sq. inches on top of crib jack x psi
      • Total load weight can be determined by totaling all of the individual crib jack weights as determined above.
      • Weight is in pounds. 
      • Equipment (tarp weight, etc.) is in addition to this estimate.

What if I don’t have crib jacks that can measure the weight?

  • If a weight is not available using the method described above, the following formula can be utilized to determine an alternative weight estimation for the building structure: o Building Weight (in pounds) = 44 x length (ft) x width (ft)
    • Building Weight (in kilograms) = 20 x length (ft) x width (ft)

What are the maximum weights for building moves?

  • Up to a maximum of 9 kg/mm width of tire by permit. This may be subject to Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure approval as well as bridge approval.

When is Bridge approval required?

  • When gross vehicle weight exceeds 70,000 kg.

Do spring weight restrictions apply to building moves?

  • Yes, these restrictions apply up to a maximum of 6.25 kg/mm width of tire.

Is there a limit on dimensions?

  • No, there is no limit on dimensions subject to route approval.

Are there any times when buildings are not allowed to be moved?

  • Between sunset and sunrise. Special consideration has been given for moves within 25 km of a major urban centre between midnight and sunrise. 
  • From 3:00 p.m. Fridays to sunrise the following Monday. 
  • Buildings less than 7.32 m wide can be moved on Saturdays.
  • From 3:00 p.m. on the day prior to a Public Holiday until sunrise the first working day following the holiday. 
  • Mealtime restrictions apply. No travel is permitted within 25 km of all major urban centers (Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Yorkton, North Battleford and Lloydminster):
    • 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
    • 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
    • 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. 
  • On any highway under construction unless prior arrangements have been made with the Ministry of Highways Regional Construction staff.

Can I move a building between midnight and sunrise near a major urban centre (within 25 km)?

  • Yes, provided the following conditions are met o Vehicles must not park on provincial highways. 
  • Warning lights must also be utilized. These lights must be 175 mm round or 120 mm x 152 mm. These lights must be mounted on each side of the building (red at the rear, amber at the front). These lights shall be placed 100 mm from the corner of the building to help warn other motorists.

If I am able to move a building between midnight and sunrise, do I need escort vehicles?

  • Yes and the escorts must be properly equipped according to the Vehicle Weight and Dimension Regulations If the building exceeds 4.45 m (15 ft) wide at the base:
    • On a 2-lane highway a minimum of two lead escorts and one trail escort is required. Additional escorts may be used as required.
    • On a 4-lane highway a minimum of one lead escort and two trail escorts are required. Additional escorts may be used as required.
    • A third escort is required when the passing lane is reduced to 3.1 m (10 ft) or less.

Do I have to check the weather conditions before starting a move?

  • Yes. You have to make a reasonable effort to check weather conditions before a move. If adverse weather conditions exist, the move should not take place.

What are "adverse weather conditions"?

  • If visibility is reduced to less than 1500 m OR
  • When the roadway is covered with snow, sleet or ice, which impedes the driver’s or other motorists ability to drive in a safe manner.

What if I encounter bad weather conditions during a move?

  • If adverse weather conditions are encountered, the movers will stop at the next safe location and wait until the adverse conditions stop.

What kind of equipment can I use if the building is less than 6.1 m (20 ft) wide at the base?

  • Typically a specialized trombone trailer with wide track width and a drop deck, with outrigger frames that extend up to 1.83 m (6 ft) on either side of the trailer.
  • In these instances, the maximum building width is double the width of the trailer (for example, if the trailer is 2.6 m wide, the maximum overhang on each side should be restricted to 1.3 m).

What kind of equipment can I use if the building is between 6.1 m (20 ft) wide and 7.32 m (24 ft) wide?

  • Once the building is over 6.1 m wide, it must be moved either on beams and dollies, or a specialized designed building move trailer that has been approved by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways.

What kind of equipment can I use if the building is more than 7.32 m (24 ft) wide?

  • If a building is wider than 7.32 m (24 ft) at the base, beams and dollies with fully functional brakes and suspension on all axles are required.

Can I travel on the shoulder?

  • Yes. On a 2-lane highway, the building must travel as far over on the right side of the road as possible. This can include the shoulder.
  • Yes. On a 4-lane highway the building must travel in the right lane only (unless passing obstacles) and as far right as possible. This includes the shoulder.

Is there a minimum speed that must be maintained?

  • Yes. When moving a building you must travel at least 20km/h.

Do I have to allow vehicles to pass?

  • Yes. Sufficient opportunity must be provided to allow traffic to pass safely.

What if there is a school bus impeded by the move?

  • A move must not interfere with the passage of a school bus transporting children.


  • SGI Permit Office 306.775.6969 (outside of Saskatchewan) or 1.800.667.7575 in Saskatchewan
  • Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure at 306.787.5307


Home/Trucking/Building Move Application
© 2018 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.